Futonics lasers have been successfully used for the ablation of both transparent and non-transparent polymers.
Ablation is the process of removing material from a surface through irradiation, so that the material is heated and either evaporates or sublimates without damage to the underlying material. Laser ablation of plastics is used in research and industrial applications, and include cleaning surfaces and removing paint and coatings. The contactless operation bypasses the disadvantages of conventional methods, which involve more expensive abrasive and chemical procedures.
- Removes plastic materials from solid surfaces in a controlled and precise fashion.
- High processing speed translates to reduced damage to surrounding material, allowing for a high degree of precision and accuracy on relatively sensitive materials.
- Environmentally-friendly through eliminating the need for solvents.
- More cost-effective operating costs than conventional techniques.
- Gentler and more accurate method than traditional abrasive techniques.
- Cleaning surfaces
- Removal of paint and coatings
- Surface preparation